1. Chocolate has actual magical healing powers.
A loud snap made them all jump. Professor Lupin was breaking an enormous slab of chocolate into pieces.
'Here, ' he said to Harry, handing him a particularly large piece.
'Eat it. It'll help.'
– Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
2. There is no shame in being a nerd.
Hermione made it cool for us all by being a total badass and a bookworm. Get you a gal who can do both.
3. Sometimes it’s ok to tell your friends when they are being buttheads.
When Ron and Harry fall out big time in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but then Ron comes back when it most matters, it is the ultimate #friendshipgoals
“He must have known I'd want to leave you."
"No, he must have known you would always want to come back.”
– Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
4. You cannot change the past- and if you try to (with magic, obvs), you may make things worse.
So don’t fret about what could have been and focus on the present day. If you’ve seen The Cursed Child you’ll really get this, but #keepthesecrets and all, so no spoilers here.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
– Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
5. The real source of magic is our imagination.
The fact that pretty much the entire world is so deeply invested in these stories and characters and places is testament to that. There is a beautiful quote illustrating this from JK Rowling herself on Twitter;
“All these people saying they never got their Hogwarts letter: you got the letter. You went to Hogwarts. We were all there together.”